Thursday, October 7, 2010

Being Active With Your Voice When It Counts

As most of you have probably heard during the past week, a teenage boy took his own life after fellow classmates taunted and teased him over his sexuality. His personal relations were streamed over the internet for all to see. What a devastating situation all around. What we need to understand is that this is a chrisis in our world; not accepting someone for who they are. It is shameful to cast judgement on a person based on their sexual orientation. It does not need to be this way. If we learn to speak up for others when we see these kinds of hateful acts unfolding, well then, maybe things can tunr out different for the next person dealing with their identity. It starts with demanding common respect and understanding. The old saying " if you don't have something nice to say then don't say anything at all" may need to be fine tuned for our generation to something more suitable, say " if you find witness someone saying something that is not nice then take a stand for the victim and correct the offender for their fault". This could be a great start to change in our world, to healing the wounded, and to leaving all to feel a bit more safe in our society to be who they are. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ashleigh, I had not heard about this poor young man. Was it on national news or something? I think back when I was young, most people were probably more intolerant to different color of people, not to their sexuality but also most did not say anything about the sexual orientation. I am one of those very patient, open to anything kind of people so when I hear about stories like this, it makes me so sick and makes my heart break a little more. I would hope by this day and age that everyone would be tolerant to anything out there. If someone is different then yourself, it makes for a better friendship and experiencing different things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Ashleigh, I haven';t heard about theat. That is very sad. It really surprises me how kids can get away with bullying other children and nothing being done by their parents about it. I have a 10 year old daughter who was being bullied at school. It took me four phone calls to the teacher and three visits to the principal and they finally did something with this boy who was bullying her. If that would not have worked my next phone call was going to the board of education.

    ReplyDelete