Friday, October 8, 2010

Mom, Feeling Overwhelmed? You Are Not Alone! Lets Laugh It Off A Bit :)

So, tonight I am trying to write on my blog for school, but mean while I have my 10 month old son in my lap clawing at the keyborad, and my 3 years old daughter asking me 21 questions while applying four different lip balms to her darling little face. Dishes need to be done, the rugs look as if someone dragged a large roll of cheap toiletpaper across them, my laundry room more so resembles a laundry mat, and I have yet to serve dinner. But isn't this the joy of being a mother? Sometimes we have to stop, breath deep, and think of how wonderful our dysfunction truly is. I have a great story that will explain to you just what I mean. Well, recently my nana had passed away and I had to fly back to Massachusettes from Las Vegas to attend the funeral. Unfortunatly my husband was unable to get the time off of work, so off I went with my two children back home to MA! Oh what a flight. Now, I gotta say my kids are normally really well behaved and give me little trouble, but of coarse this was not the case while trapped on an airplane packed with at least 50 strangers! It was aweful, to say the least. My son was crying and wiggling the entire time, and my daughter was demanding for everytihng and anything that was packed into the diaper bag. We finally land for a 2 hour layover in Atlanta. After putting my $4.00 into the Smart Cart machine, I quickly put my son into the front,  found a vacant wheelchair and had my daughter sit in that. I pulled out the water colors for her, and a bottle for him. Ahh, a break from the chaos! Before I knew it the time had arrived to gather the kids, and the diaper bag, and get onto the next plane. I get us settled in and await to see what unlucky person will have to take the seat in our row. A man sits down and briefly tells me he is married with two girls at home and has to travel for business quite often. I share my story of why I am flying and he tells me I am brave. The plane takes flight, the seatbelt sign turns off, and it is time to feed my son some solid food. At this point I am completely overwhelmed and admitidly debating on ordering a dozen cocktails! So, this man in his nice business suit is reading a book, minding his own business, totally unaware of what he is about to endure. I get out the jar of food and twist off the lid, reach into the bag and get out the spoon. I say to my son "mmm you want some sweet potatoes?" Right then Julian reaches for the spoon, pulls it back, and as he lets it go forward, the food goes flying into the air! It landed all over this poor man and myself. All over his face and in my hair. I  immediatly feel my eyes fill up with tears. I am soooo embarrassed and exhausted of patience. All of the sudden this guy starts laughing so hard that he was wheezing, and it broke the tension for me. I began to laugh with him. It was then that I realized how comical it all was. I also began to think of how lucky I was to have my children without or without messes and pandamonium! So, moral of my story is that when you are having a stressful day with your responsibilities as a mom just remember my story and maybe it will help you to just laugh it off a bit! I would love to hear some other moms funnys stories about motherhood, so feel free to share!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ashleigh, I do not have children yet but I do have numerous nieces and nephews and have shared in some great times. I loved your airplane story and it does not make me look forward to someday having to do that. LOL But it was nice to read about the gentleman next to you that laughed. It means that there are good people still out there! I look forward to reading more of your stories and I hope that you go to my blog also. I have stories of my animals that I think are pretty cute! Talk at you later, Kerri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unit 3
    I am proud that you were sitting by a kind man with a sense of humor.

    ReplyDelete